Growing up I use to LOVE the weekends because that is when my dad would make us french toast. And although the calories can add up, I love everything about it. That is why I was pumped when I saw the Southern Spiced French Toast recipe in the Country Heat meal plan! I tried it out asap, and it was just what I needed in my life!
MAKES 4 SERVINGS, 1 slice each
CONTAINER EQUIVALENTS (per serving): 1 yellow, 1/2 purple, 1/2 red, 1/2 blue, 1 tsp.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 4 slices low-sodium sprouted whole-grain bread
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin organic coconut oil
- 1 large banana
- 1/2 chopped raw pecans, toasted
- Combine eggs, almond milk, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice in a shallow pan; whisk to blend.
- Soak each slice of bread in egg mixture for 2 minutes, turning halfway.
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add bread; cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Top each slice evenly with banana and pecans, serve immediately!