Serves 8 (1/2 pepper each) Prep Time: 20 min. Cooking Time: 54 min.
Container Equivalents (per serving): 1 Green, 1 Yellow, 1 Red, 1/2 Purple
This is a recipe from the 21 Day Fix Cookbook, Fixate! They were very good! This time around I actually substituted bison for the chicken and they were still delicious!
- 4 medium red (or yellow, orange, or green) bell peppers, cut in half, seeds removed.
-2 tsp. olive oil
-1 medium onion, chopped
-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
-1 1/2 lb. raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless, chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
-1 tsp. ground chili powder
-1 tsp. ground cumin
-1/4 tsp. sea salt
-1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
-1 cup tomato sauce
-2 cups cooked quinoa
-1 cup canned black beans, drained, rinsed
-1 cup frozen corn kernels
-5 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, reserve some for garnish
-1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
-1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place bell peppers, skin side down, in large baking dish; set aside.
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
4. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
5. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
6. Add chicken, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
7. Add tomato sauce, quinoa, beans, corn, cilantro, and lime juice. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through.
8. Add heaping 1/2 cup of chicken mixture to each pepper half; cover lightly with foil.
9. Bake for 35 minutes, or until peppers are tender; remove foil.
10. Top each pepper evenly with cheese. Bake for 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
11. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and hot sauce (if desired).