Whole 30 Chicken Cacciatore
I am absolutely loving all the recipes that I have tried so far from the Whole 30 cookbook. Last night I had the pleasure of hosting a dinner for my parents and my friends who are NOT on the Whole 30. Little did they know that everything we had was Whole 30 approved! The chicken in this dish came out so tender and it went perfect over some zucchini noodles! Highly recommend this one!!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 4 Tablespoons cooking fat
- 1 pound chicken legs (bone in, skin on)
- 1/2 pound chicken thighs (boneless)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, rough chopped
- In a large skillet with high edges, heat 2 tablespoons of the cooking fat over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in the pan. Sear the chicken until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- With the same pan still on medium-high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of cooking fat, onions, and peppers and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion becomes translucent. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the capers and diced tomatoes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and cover everything with the chicken broth or water. Reduce the heat to medium and bring everything to a simmer. Turn the heat down to low and continue to simmer (not boil) until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 F, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with the chopped basil and serve!
Post a Comment