Whole 30 Spaghetti Squash and Turkey Meatballs
I am still loving the whole 30! I am Sicilian and grew up on spaghetti and meatballs so it not only brings me back, it is something I crave. This Whole 30 approved recipe that I got from the Whole 30 cookbook and made a couple tweaks on was just what I needed last night for dinner!
INGREDIENTS SPAGHETTI SQUASH
- 1 Whole Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- PREHEAT the oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- CUT the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds with a large spoon. Drizzle the insides evenly with the olive oil. Place the squash flesh-side down on the baking sheet.
- ROAST the squash for 1 hour, until fork-tender. Carefully turn the squash flash-side up and let cool until cool enough to handle.
- USE a fork to gently scrape out the flesh; the squash will come out in a noodle-like strands. Season evenly with the thyme, salt, and pepper, and serve immediately.
TURKEY MEATBALL INGREDIENTS
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/4 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat, plus more if needed
- PREHEAT oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- THOROUGHLY mix the turkey, egg, onion, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Roll into 15 to 20 meatballs, each about the size of a golf ball.
- MELT the cooking fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the fat is hot, add the meatballs. Cook for about 30 seconds per side, turning to prevent burning, until browned all over, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and add more cooking fat if the pan begins to smoke.
- TRANSFER the meatballs to the prepared baking sheet. Transfer to the oven to finish cooking for 8 to 10 minutes, until the internal temp. reaches 160 F. Let the meatballs rest for 5 minutes and serve.