Whole 30 Stuffed Peppers
I just started the Whole 30 and my first dinner was delicious!! I made Bison stuffed peppers and not only were they good, but I was completely satisfied and full. Definitely a recipe to try out whether you are doing the whole 30 or not!
- 4 red, yellow, or orange bell peppers
- 3 Tablespoons of cooking fat
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
- 4 kale leaves, stems removed, leaves finely chopped
- 1 lb ground meat (beef, lamb, bison)
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled winter squash (butternut, acorn, etc.)
- PREHEAT the oven to 350F. Line a deep baking sheet with parchment paper.
- WITH a pairing knife, slice around the top of each bell pepper and gently pull up on stem. Discard the seeded core. Place the peppers in the prepared dish. Bake for 10 minutes, until softened. Set aside.
- MEANWHILE, melt the cooking fat in a large skillet over medium heat and swirl to coat the bottom. When the fat is hot, add the onion and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the kale and cook for 1 minute stirring. Add the ground meat and cook, breaking up the meat with a spatula or wooden spoon and stirring it into the vegetables, for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until the meat is mostly browned, 7 to 9 minutes. Stir in the squash and cook until the squash is slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- DIVIDE the meat and squash mixture evenly among the softened bell peppers. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes, until the peppers look wrinkly and the beef is slightly browned on top.