Recipe Thursday: Chickpea Sloppy Joes
Who doesn't love the school lunch classic, Sloppy Joe? Why not try a vegan version? This recipe is one again from my new favorite vegan cookbook. I highly recommend getting it!! This recipe got a thumb and a half from me. It was quick and easy to make, and tasted delicious! Enjoy!
- 4 Cups cooked chickpeas or 2 15 ounce cans, rinsed and drained
- Vegan Hamburger buns
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 15-ounce can unsalted, diced fire-roasted tomatoes, with liquid
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons liquid aminos
- 2 Tablespoons sriracha
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork into small chunks or shreds. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to its lowest temp. Open the buns and heat the halves, cut side up, on the center rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large shallow saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant. Add the bell pepper and mashed chickpeas; saute for about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, liquid aminos, sriracha, maple syrup, oregano, cumin, paprika, thyme, liquid smoke, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, until heated through and slightly thickened. Add a little water if it is sticking to the pan.
- Scoop the chickpea mixture onto the warmed buns and serve immediately!