Spiced Eggplant-Lentil Salad with Mango
As you guys know, every Thursday I make a recipe for what I call, "Recipe Thursday". Each Monday I search the internet for clean and interesting Vegan recipes to test out. I then pick two of my favorites and let you all vote which one I will make on my facebook page. I make the winner the following Thursday.
This Thursday you all chose a goodie!! I found this recipe at Eating Well and made a few tweaks to make it vegan. I really loved this Indian-inspired recipe. It was the perfect about of spice and the mango made it refreshing, perfect for the summertime!
- 4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
- 2 medium eggplants, trimmed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cup cooked lentils, or 1 15-ounce can, rinsed
- 2 bunches scallions, coarsely chopped (save 2 Tablespoons for garnish)
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2 large ripe mangos, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Combine 1 Tablespoon oil with 2 teaspoons each chili powder and curry powder in a large bowl. Add eggplant and toss well. Spread the eggplant on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once halfway through, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Thoroughly combine the remaining 3 Tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon each chili powder and curry powder, 1/3 cup lemon juice, salsa, agave, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add roasted eggplant, lentils, and scallions; gently toss to combine. Taste and season with more pepper and lemon juice if desired.
- Serve the salad on a bed of romaine, topped with mango, nuts, cilantro, and remaining 2 Tablespoons scallions.