Recipe Thursday: Spicy Buffalo Chickpea Wrap
I absolutely LOVED this recipe from The Minimalist Baker!! If you haven't checked out here recipes yet, you MUST get yourself over to her site!! I loved the sweet and spicy taste of the chickpeas on the wrap, I didn't love my wrap choice because it fell apart. When I make these again I will be using a thicker flat bread instead of a wrap. Regardless of my wrap falling apart I give this recipe two thumbs up, especially if you like spicy!!
Dressing & Salad
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons hummus
- 1 1/2- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup, plus more to taste
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- Hot water to thin
- 1 bundle of kale, cleaned, large stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and dried
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 Tablespoons hot sauce, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3-4 Vegan-friendly flour tortillas, pita, or flatbread
- Optional: 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- Optional: 1/4 cup baby tomatoes, diced
- Optional: 1/4 cup ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- Make dressing by adding hummus, maple syrup, and lemon juice to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine. Add hot water until thick but pourable.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, then add kale, and toss. Set aside.
- To make chickpeas, add drained, dried chickpeas to a separate mixing bowl. Add coconut oil, 3 Tablespoons hot sauce, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. Toss to combine/coat.
- Heat a metal or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add chickpeas and saute for 3-4 minutes, mashing a few chickpeas gently with a spoon to create texture.
- Once chickpeas are hot and slightly dried out, remove from heat and add remaining 1 Tablespoon of hot sauce. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- To assemble, top each wrap with a generous portion of the dressed kale salad, 1/4 cup buffalo chickpeas and sprinkle with diced tomato, onion, and avocado.