Recipe Thursday: Vegan Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
I was excited when I found a vegan pumpkin spice pancake recipe on the PETA website, but when I saw some of the ingredients I decided to try and make a few tweaks. Long story short, my tweaks did NOT make good pancakes so although the video shows my tweaks, follow the recipe written below. Overall these were pretty good. I gave them a thumb and a half mostly just because it just tasted like a pancake. There was a little bit of a pumpkin kick, but in my opinion, it was just as tasty as a regular pancake. If pumpkin is your thing though, you will like them!
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 Tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Combine the almond milk, vinegar, pumpkin puree, vegan margarine, maple syrup, vanilla extract, coconut oil in a large bowl, mix, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice, mix.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mix, let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet. When the batter starts to bubble, flip and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Repeat.
- Serve with maple syrup and a pinch of pumpkin pie spice.