Recipe Thursday: Vegan Stuffed Artichoke
Stuffed artichokes bring me back. When I was a little girl my Nana would make the best stuffed artichokes in the world. Because of her, they are my favorite food. When she passed when I was 16 years old I asked my mother over and over again to find my Nana's recipe. The thing is, my Nana didn't use a recipe...that's how Italians roll. Since then I have been on a quest for the perfect stuffed artichoke and since becoming a Vegan this past January, I had to find one that didn't use cheese. Although nothing will ever compare to my Nana's stuffed artichokes, this one came pretty close!
- 4 whole artichokes
- 1 Lemon, halved (to rub on cut artichoke)
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan
- 1 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 heaping Tablespoons of minced basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Trim and prepare the artichokes (click here to see how)
- Rub cut lemon on the bottom of the artichoke and anywhere else that you cut or trimmed, and separate the leaves as much as you can to make room for stuffing
- In a bowl mix all of the filling ingredients together. Once the filling is mixed well stuff the center of the artichoke and in between the leaves with the filling. Repeat with the remaining artichokes.
- Place the stuffed artichokes into a baking dish filled with 1-2 inches of water. Drizzle olive oil over the stuffed artichokes and cover the baking dish with tinfoil.
- Bake the artichokes for about 40-50 minutes or until the leaves can be pulled off easily. Let them cool, and enjoy!