Low Carb "Almond Joy Bars"
All I can say about this one is WOW! I got the original recipe over at Whole New Mom and my look NOTHING like hers, but that didn't matter one bit. These were absolutely delicious and I totally recommend them! These bars are low carb, vegan, and gluten-free were easy to make, easily stored in the freezer, and are loaded with coconut oil and other healthy ingredients!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup xylitol or substitute
- 6 Tbsp cocoa (for more health benefits use raw cacao or carob)
- 1-1/2 scoops Stevia
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1-2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 7 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup granulated sweetener (or 2-3 scoops stevia extract powder)
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. additional flavoring (I used Almond)
- 2 tsp. arrowroot powder (or use 1/16 tsp of xanthan gum or glucomannan if you need to avoid these foods)
- Almond halves or slices (optional)
- Melt oil and nut butter over low heat.
- Stirn in cocoa/carob and granulated sweetener and combine thoroughly.
- Mix in remaining ingredients except for vanilla. Continuously stir until it slightly thickens, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into an 8x8 pan and place in the freezer to harden while you make the topping. If you don't have room in your freezer, the fridge will get it solid enough to work with.
- Melt Oil in a small pan and add coconut flakes. Stir.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer and stir until it thickens a bit.
- Once the chocolate is hardened, gently smooth the coconut mixture on top.
- Place slivered or whole almonds on top. Place bars back in the freezer until hardened.
- Slice into squares of desired size and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator.