Recipe Thursday: Low Carb Waffles
I have been craving waffles for a while now, so when I came across this recipe I was all over it. Here's the deal, I am sharing two versions of this recipe. One version for my strict keto friends, and another version for my "keto-ish" vegan friends. The good thing about drinking exogenous ketones is that I don't need to eat a strict ketogenic diet 100% of the time to feel the effects of ketosis. So do with this recipe what you like, but I was pretty impressed with these healthy, lower carb waffles that I found here on The Big Man's World website!
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 2/3 cup liquid egg whites (or 4 large egg whites)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. oil of choice
- Maple syrup/coconut butter to top
- 1/4 cup oat flour (can sub for any wheat flour)
- 1/2 scoop vanilla brown rice protein powder (17 grams)
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk, divided
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Maple syrup/coconut butter, to top
(for original recipe)
- In a small mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add your egg whites, milk, vanilla extract and unsweetened applesauce and mix lightly. Pour into the dry mixture and mix until a thick batter is formed. Add your oil of choice and let batter sit. While you are doing so, heat up your waffle iron and coat lightly with oil/cooking spray. Once hot, add your batter and cook until crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
(For vegan option)
- In a mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add your flax, baking powder, vanilla extract and 1/4 cup of dairy-free milk. Whisk well and let sit for 5 minutes until it starts gelling up. Heat up the waffle iron and while it's heating up combine the two bowls and add the extra 1/4 cup of milk until a thick batter is formed. Cook on the waffle iron until all the batter is used up.